Sunday, September 26, 2010

Whimsical Tutorial!

whimsical

teacup

I've been playing around in photoshop a lot and perfected some new actions!
I have a BUNCH so I might think of sharing them all, but for now...just this only!
This effect gives your photos kind of a whimsical, dreamy, tea party look and is super fun! It's really cute on children or flowers, but I've used it on some of my wedding photos too and it adds a completely magical feel!
So! Here's how you do it!
(Please ignore the poor composition and quality of the photo I chose, It is just a cute snapshot I did with my point and shoot camera of my little sister two years ago!)

1. Open your image
2. Open Hue/Saturation under a new adjustment layer
step 1

3. Adjust your saturation to about -20
step 2

4. Add a Raspberry (530d24) color fill on Screen Blend mode with the opacity set at 100
step 3
step 4

5. Add a Dark Navy (080638) color fill on Exclusion Blend mode with the opacity set at 100
6. Add a Butter (f6e7a9) color fill on Multiply Blend mode with the opacity set at 100
7. Add a Salmon Pink (d88792) color fill on Soft Light Blend mode with the opacity set at 100
by now your photo should look pretty funky, but bear with me!
step 5

8. Open Levels under a new adjustment layer
step 6

9. Choose BLUES from the pull down menu and set your outputs levels to 52 and 224
step 7

10. Open Brightness/Contrast under a new adjustment layer
11. Set your contrast to +45
12. Open Hue/Saturation under a new adjustment layer
13. Lower your saturation to -18
14. Add a Cream (f4ecd4) color fill on Soft Light Blending mode at 100%
15. Adjust all of the color fills to taste (I put all of mine at 50% opacity but every photo is different)
and viola!...you have the hazy whimsical effect!
final


Now to add the contrast pop whimsical effect you just add one more step...

16. Duplicate the background layer and bring all the way to the top and set at Soft Life Blend mode adjust opacity accordingly (again I put mine at 50%)
contrast pop step

Here are my final images!
color

It also looks good on black and white photos!
black and white

So try it out and let me know how it works!!
Maybe I'll post another one in the upcoming days!

No comments:

Post a Comment